EPISODES OF A STRANGE DAY

EPISODE I

"Aren't you placed?" said Rakesh.

I knew this question was going to come up today,

"Ah, I'm glad you asked me that question Ra..",

"Then ANSWER it." he cut in.

His eyes weren't friendly. This hostility was, ofcourse, expected from all those who were eligible for the CTS. It was very important for them (remember 'life and death'?). And any extra competition from already-placed's was not welcome. Niharika was earnestly blinking at me, expecting an answer. Gimme a break guys!

"Aw, come on catch someone else, yaar!", I smiled, and after that I tried to wiggle out by saying some nice things about Rakesh. He looked at the girl, saw she was impressed, looked back at me and said, "Ok,you may go.". And I left.

The CTS ppt was still going on..these billion dollar guys always want to talk about how they spent each dollar. The seminar hall was jam-packed. Some smarties outside were looking upset as they didn't get a seat. But I was feeling bad for those stuck inside. Imagine: You can't concentrate beyond a point, so you just wish some fuse blows the power for good. You can't get up in the middle and walk out. It's rude. You've got to feel sleepy in the room as it is very dark. Worse, somebody beside you is passing big time pj's. Or even worse, the guy behind you is breathing on your neck and throws in the odd sneeze and cough. But don't worry - Finally its over, and the crowd trickles out a changed lot. I noticed a line of important looking Cognizant guys in their snazzy t-shirts as they trooped out with each dollar explained.

With the classrooms assigned and the students assembled, the invigilators started getting the papers together. I was in the first bench and in one of those 50-50 states, Will I get caught? Will I escape notice?. I was nervous, yet hopeful. Unfortunately, a pair of searching eyes picked up my sulking figure in the corner. I guess it was my bright blue shirt.

"Sorry babu." the Placement head said "Those placed cannot appear for this.".

I wanted to retort - placed? You call a 3 yr bond with a measly 10K a month placed? It is called ENTRAPMENT, not Placement. I walked out of the class looking very small. I knew I wasn't eligible and it isn't nice being told to leave. I felt like a rat caught stealing another rat's cheese. Outside the class, three "I-told-you-so " faces awaited me. Akanksha,Meena and Priyanka stood there giggling.

"You can't blame me for taking chances.Life is a rat race." I hardly said this and they broke into loud laughs. Now I really felt like a rat. Sometimes a guy tries to secure his future. Sometimes he takes a brave risk. Ocassionally he gets caught being the bank robber that he is. I'm not saying don't laugh , but hey, it happens. Anyway, suddenly the invigilators made their presence felt and ushered us out of the area. The test started and everyone, including the invigilators went inside their quiet classrooms. The four of us stood there watching the long gaping corridor before us. No test today. Definitely no job today. Just before I turned to go home, I noticed a figure in the distance. It looked mystical in the backdrop of sunshine. It was coming towards us.
(END OF EPISODE I)

EPISODE II

I was watching this mysterious figure speeding towards us. What was it? Was it a bird? No. Was it a plane? No again. Was it Superman!? No you moron, it was a Cognizant t-shirt. The person wearing it was a sharp looking man..and as he came closer I recognised him. He was the Head of the CTS team. This was a chance to try something ...anyway nothing good was going to happen if I stood still being mocked from three sides.

"I have to write this test.I am going to ask him!", I said.

"Ask him!?",laughed Akanksha sarcastically.

I may have been feeling like a rat,and maybe I will end up a bank robber but, as I said, one has still got to take one's chances. Her laugh ended abruptly as started I walking briskly towards him. Good.

But then all three started their muffled laughter again.Dignity and desperation don't go together I guess. As I emerged from the giggles, the man in the spotlight looked at me.

"Yes?"the Head asked, seeing me.

"Sir, I wanted to write your test today...", I said.

"Yes, please do, its already started ."(Please let me finish!)

"But sir, I'm not eligible as I have already been placed.However I wish to leave that job and appear for your process." (neat finish,eh?)

"Well, you see, theres your college rule blocking the way.I can't do much .But meet me later."

"Yes, sir.",I said. And then he walked off hurriedly.

This was a good start, I thought. I went back to the girls. They were heading for the canteen. Now, thats not the place generally I hang out, but I had to wait somewhere, and if it wasn't in those classrooms , it definitely wasn't going to be in the blazing sun. As we walked down , I could see the three were in a very chatty mood today. Ever heard of the phrase "tip of the iceberg"? Read on.